Gardener – Retford Park
National Trust of Australia (NSW)
- Location Bowral, NSW
- Job Type Full time Permanent, 37.5 hrs week
- Category Horticulture
- Sectors Horticulture, Landscape Gardening
- Reports to Head Gardener, Retford Park
The National Trust is the largest community based, not-for-profit conservation organisation in Australia, operating for more than 70 years. Our vision is to bring the heritage of New South Wales to life for future generations. We achieve this by advocating for the conservation and protection of our built, cultural and natural heritage and by educating and engaging the community through the sharing and interpretation of all Australian heritage stories in ways that awaken a sense of place and belonging.
Located in Bowral, Retford Park features an elegant Victorian Italianate residence surrounded by over thirty hectares of formal gardens and grounds.
You will be an integral part of the small Gardening team at Retford Park, with responsibility for undertaking and managing the maintenance, restoration and conservation of the grounds and garden and ensuring a high level of presentation and public safety.
About the Role
We are seeking a passionate gardener who has experience working in cool climate gardens, is familiar with the management principles of heritage properties and understands the expectations of a high standard of presentation for a garden open to the public.
To be successful in this role you will need to:
- Have excellent horticultural knowledge, an aptitude for maintaining mechanical equipment, an eye for detail, ability to manage your time efficiently and effectively and a practical ‘can-do’ approach to your work.
- Be organised and able to perform all tasks in a timely manner and to the standards set by the Head Gardener and/or Property Manager.
- Be punctual and reliable and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- You will also be largely responsible for overseeing a small team of garden volunteers, so excellent organisational and people skills are important.
- As the gardens and grounds are a key attraction of the property, you will have a commitment to ensuring the gardens are beautifully presented to the visitors.
- You have at least 3 years’ experience as a gardener
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Certificate 3 or Above, in Horticulture
- Current Level 1 Chainsaw certification
- Experience in maintaining large scale gardens
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Current NSW Working with Children Check number (WWCC)
- Current NSW Drivers license
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- An understanding of management principles of Historic Gardens, especially Cool Climate gardens
- Current AQF 3 Chemical Application certification
- Computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications
- An understanding of and commitment to the National Trust’s aims, objectives and workplace values
You must be fully vaccinated and have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- For enquiries about the role, contact Head Gardener, Retford Park on 02 9258 0124
- For a full position description call: 02 9258 0159 or email [email protected]
- To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities to: [email protected]
- Closing date: 11 June 2023
- Street Address 1325 Old South Road Bowral NSW
- Full Address Retford Park, 1325 Old South Road, Bowral
- Salary Offer Salary package $67,157 AUD Salary package $67,157 Month
- Employer's Question How much experience do you have in working in large cool climate gardens?
- Cover Letter Required? required
- Qualification Level Cert 3, Cert 4, Diploma, Bachelors