Horticulturist – Retford Park
National Trust of Australia (NSW)
- Location: Bowral, NSW
- Job Type: Full time Permanent, 37.5 hrs week
- Category: Horticulture
- Sectors: Horticulture, Landscape Gardening
- Reports to: Head Gardener, Retford Park
- Salary package: $74.7k FTE inclusive of super and leave loading
The National Trust is the largest community based, not-for-profit conservation organisation in Australia, operating for more than 70 years. Our vision is to bring the heritage of New South Wales to life for future generations. We achieve this by advocating for the conservation and protection of our built, cultural and natural heritage and by educating and engaging the community through the sharing and interpretation of all Australian heritage stories in ways that awaken a sense of place and belonging.
Located in Bowral, Retford Park features an elegant Victorian Italianate residence surrounded by over thirty hectares of formal gardens and grounds.
You will be an integral part of the small Gardening team at Retford Park, with responsibility for undertaking and managing the maintenance, restoration and conservation of the grounds and garden according to the Conservation Plan and ensuring a high level of presentation and public safety.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced and passionate Horticulturist who has an excellent working knowledge of Cool Climate gardens and is familiar with the operation of a complex large scale garden. Presentation of the garden and grounds to a high standard is also essential to ensure optimum usage and visitation.
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Excellent horticultural knowledge, an aptitude for maintaining mechanical equipment, an eye for detail, able to manage your time efficiently and effectively and a practical ‘can-do’ approach to your work.
- You must be organised and able to perform all tasks in a timely manner and to the standards set by the Head Gardener and/or Property Manager.
- You are punctual and reliable and can work both independently and as part of a team.
- You will also be largely responsible for overseeing a small team of grounds and maintenance volunteers, so excellent organisational, training and people skills are a
- As the gardens and grounds are selling points to both properties, you will have a commitment to ensuring the gardens are beautifully presented to the visitor.
- You have at least 3 years’ experience as a gardener and can turn your hand to anything.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Certificate 3 or above, in Horticulture
- Current AQF 3 Chemical Application certification
- Current Level 1 Chainsaw certification
- Experience in maintaining large scale gardens
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Current NSW Drivers license
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- An understanding of management principles of Historic Gardens, especially Cool Climate gardens
- A basic understanding of budgets and financial management skills
- Computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications
- Current NSW Working with Children Check number (WWCC)
- An understanding of and commitment to the National Trust’s aims, objectives and workplace values.
You must be fully vaccinated and have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- For a full position description or any enquiries call: 02 9258 0159 or email [email protected]
- To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities to: [email protected]
- Closing date: 26 November 2023
- Immediate start available if required
- Street Address Retford Park, 1325 Old South Road, Bowral 2576
- Full Address Retford Park 1325 Old South Road Bowral
- Salary Offer Salary Package $74.7k inc super and leave loading AUD Salary Package $74.7k inc super and leave loading Month
- Video Job Ad
- Cover Letter Required? required
- Qualification Level Cert 3, Cert 4, Diploma, Bachelors