Do you want your work to make a difference for NSW?
Together, we create thriving environments, communities and economies.
- Ongoing Part-Time Opportunity (19 hours per week), Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
- Salary relative to experience and ranges from $67,458 to $73,175 pro rata + superannuation
- Guardians of the Garden
Botanic Gardens of Sydney is a purpose-driven organisation committed to providing solutions to critical environmental challenges facing all life on earth and improving the quality of people’s lives through joyous connections to inspiring public spaces. Our vision is to see people, communities, institutions and industries informed and inspired by power of plants and to support their conservation.
We are the stewards of three world-leading botanic gardens, Australia’s premier botanical research institute, and one of the country’s most loved urban parklands.
Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
Situated within Gadigal land along the shores of Sydney Harbour, the Garden features an outstanding horticultural collection from all over the world, is Australia’s longest continuously operating scientific institution, and one of the nation’s premier tourist attractions.
About the Role
Our Horticulturists develop and maintain horticultural collections and displays including turf horticultural development, management and maintenance, landscape construction and supervises and trains staff. Our horticulturists may be required to work anywhere on BGGS lands, in controlled environments, hardscape and landscape construction and maintenance, nursery or natural areas.
- Minimum Certificate III in either Horticulture or Parks & Gardens or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience in the maintenance of horticultural displays; pest and disease control; weed management; plant nutrition; irrigation control, and the maintenance and use of all associated plant and equipment.
- Current driver’s licence with the ability to drive manual vehicles and willingness to undertake fieldwork for extended periods of time
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours and on weekends if required and have the ability to lift and carry a minimum of 15 kilos.
For more information read the full Role Description: Horticulturist BGGS
About the Department
The Department of Planning and Environment’s (DPE) vision is to create thriving environments, communities and economies for the people of New South Wales. We strive to be a high-performing, world-class public service organisation that celebrates and reflects the full diversity of the community we serve and seeks to embed Aboriginal cultural awareness and knowledge throughout the department.
In our inclusive and accessible workplace, differences are embraced, contributions are valued, and everyone has a sense of connection and belonging. DPE supports various employee affinity groups, practice flexible working, offer job share and workplace adjustments.
If excited by the information above, we look forward to receiving your application, including a copy of your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and suitability for the role.
Applications close Wednesday, 9th August 2023 at 11:55PM.
Should you require further information about the role please contact Ian Black via [email protected]
A recruitment pool may be created for ongoing and temporary opportunities of the same role or role type that may become available over the next 18 months.
Looking for more information or assistance in applying?
Our Diversity team can assist to:
- provide alternative formats to apply
- make adjustments to the recruitment process
- offer information about workplace adjustments and support networks
We encourage people with disability to apply. If you have disability and require more information on adjustments and assistance to apply, contact the Diversity team on [email protected] (please include reference number).
If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander check out Our Mob on Country https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/premiers-priorities/our-mob-on-country to see the work we do and get assistance in applying.
- Street Address Mrs Macquarie's Road, Sydney NSW 2000
- Full Address Mrs Macquaries Road, Sydney NSW 2000
- Salary Offer $67,458 to $73,175 pro rata AUD $67,458 to $73,175 pro rata Month
- Video Job Ad
- Cover Letter Required? required
- Qualification Level Cert 3