Do you want your work to make a difference for NSW?
Together, we create thriving environments, communities and economies.
- Located at the Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan
- Permanent Full-Time Opportunity in Australia’s largest Botanic Garden
- Salary relative to experience, and ranges from $78,260 to $86,539 + super
- Become an integral part in the conservation of Australian flora and Join the Heartbeat of the Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan
The Botanic Gardens of Sydney (BGoS) team is currently seeking to appoint a Senior Arborist responsible for the management of the tree collections including tree risk management, tree maintenance programs, record keeping, technical advice regarding developments affecting trees within the Garden, supervision of staff, allocation of resources and the planning and development of the section.
In this role you will effectively manage staff within a public garden given the need to implement new arboriculture practices and prioritise the workload of a small team. Balancing appropriate tree management techniques with conservation, safety and horticultural issues is imperative to success in the role.
You will be charged with implementing the BGoS tree risk management policy and procedures, including performing and recording tree risk assessments and determining risk control actions; ensuring the accurate recording, data entry and analysis of arboriculture collections using IrisBG plant database and GIS systems.
- Diploma in Arboriculture AQF5 or equivalent with experience in a wide range of tree maintenance and services, including pest and disease control, weed management, plant nutrition and irrigation control and in the maintenance and use of all associated plant and equipment.
- Level II Chainsaw Operation/ Fell Trees Manually (Intermediate)
- Current qualification in Quantified Tree Risk Assessment (QTRA) and/or ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ or equivalent)
- Experience in the arboriculture industry including the ability to conduct tree climbing and complex rigging works.
- Ability to assess and prepare reports on tree risk assessment and other tree related data.
- Experience in the supervision of a wide range of arboriculture services and maintenance programs.
- Experience in the maintenance and use of arboriculture and horticulture plant and equipment.
- Current NSW Driver licence and ability to drive manual vehicles
- Able and willing to undertake fieldwork for extended periods of time and able to lift and carry a minimum 15 kilos.
For more information read the full Role Description: Senior Arborist
Staff working within BGoS are a group of world-leading staff from the fields of science, horticulture, public space activation, visitor experience, not-for-profit fundraising, digital engagement, tourism, planning, major project delivery, commercial investment, sustainable resource and asset management, events and recreation.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dedicated, flexible and dynamic team and to work for Australia’s premier botanical science institute and for some of Sydney’s most iconic public spaces with opportunities to further ones career development and advancement.
About the Department
The Department of Planning and Environment’s (DPE) vision is to create thriving environments, communities and economies for the people of New South Wales. We strive to be a high-performing, world-class public service organisation that celebrates and reflects the full diversity of the community we serve and seeks to embed Aboriginal cultural awareness and knowledge throughout the department.
In our inclusive and accessible workplace, differences are embraced, contributions are valued, and everyone has a sense of connection and belonging. DPE supports various employee affinity groups, practice flexible working, offer job share and workplace adjustments
If excited by the information above, we look forward to receiving your application, including a copy of your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and suitability for the role.
Applications close Sunday 17th September 2023 at 11:55pm.
Should you require further information about the role please contact Michael Elgey via [email protected].
A recruitment pool may be created for ongoing and temporary opportunities of the same role or role type that may become available over the next 18 months.
Looking for more information or assistance in applying?
Our Diversity team can assist to:
- provide alternative formats to apply
- make adjustments to the recruitment process
- offer information about workplace adjustments and support networks
We encourage people with disability to apply. If you have disability and require more information on adjustments and assistance to apply, contact the Diversity team on [email protected] (please include reference number).
If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander check out Our Mob on Country https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/premiers-priorities/our-mob-on-country to see the work we do and get assistance in applying.
- Street Address 362 Narellan Road, Mount Annan
- Full Address Mrs Macquaries Road, Sydney NSW 2000
- Salary Offer $78,260 to $86,539 AUD $78,260 to $86,539 Month
- Video Job Ad
- Cover Letter Required? required
- Qualification Level Diploma