Head Gardener, Retford Park
National Trust of Australia (NSW)
- Location Bowral, NSW
- Job Type Full time Permanent, 38 hrs week
- Category Horticulture
- Sectors Horticulture, Landscape Gardening
- Reports to Property Manager, Retford Park
The National Trust is the largest community based, not-for-profit conservation organisation in Australia, operating for more than 70 years. Our vision is to bring the heritage of New South Wales to life for future generations. We achieve this by advocating for the conservation and protection of our built, cultural and natural heritage and by educating and engaging the community through the sharing and interpretation of all Australian heritage stories in ways that awaken a sense of place and belonging.
Located in Bowral, Retford Park features an elegant Victorian Italianate residence surrounded by over thirty hectares of formal gardens and grounds.
The Head Gardener, Retford Park, is responsible for undertaking and managing the maintenance, restoration and conservation of the grounds and garden according to the Conservation Plan and ensuring a high level of presentation and public safety.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced and passionate gardener who has an excellent working knowledge of Cool Climate gardens and is familiar with the management and operation of a complex large-scale garden that operates within an historical context.
Presentation of the garden and grounds to a high standard is also essential to ensure optimum usage and visitation.
To be successful in this role you will need to have excellent horticultural knowledge, an aptitude for maintaining mechanical equipment, an eye for detail, able to manage your time efficiently and effectively and a practical ‘can-do’ approach to your work.
You are familiar with working within the framework of a Conservation Management Plan, believe in using sustainable practices wherever possible and have worked in a similar position for at least 4 years.
As this position also oversees two Gardeners (1 x FT, 1 x PT) and a small team of grounds and maintenance volunteers, excellent organisational and people skills are a must.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Certificate 3 or above, in Horticulture
- Current AQF 3 Chemical Application certification
- Current Level 1 Chainsaw certification
- Experience in maintaining large scale gardens
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Current NSW Drivers licence
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- An understanding of management principles of Historic Gardens, especially Cool Climate gardens
- An understanding of budget preparation and basic financial management skills
- Computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications
- Current NSW Working with Children Check number (WWCC)
- An understanding of and commitment to the National Trust’s aims, objectives and workplace values.
You must be fully vaccinated and have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- For a full position description or any enquiries call 0413 992 990 or email [email protected]
- To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities to [email protected]
- Immediate start available if required.
- Closing date Sunday 21 January 2024
- Street Address Retford Park
- Full Address 1325 Old South Road, Bowral
- Salary Offer Salary Package @ $91k AUD Salary Package @ $91k Month
- Video Job Ad
- Cover Letter Required? required
- Qualification Level Cert 3, Cert 4, Diploma, Bachelors, Masters