Nursery wholesale jobs involve managing and distributing plants and related products to retailers, landscapers, and other customers on a large scale. Just like production and retail horticulture roles, wholesale nursery workers play a vital role in supporting the growth and development of greenery across Australia.
What Do Nursery Wholesale Jobs Entail?
Nursery wholesale jobs encompass a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Sourcing and purchasing plants and trees from growers
- Maintaining and organising a large inventory of plants
- Packaging and shipping plants to customers
- Building relationships with growers and customers
- Providing expert advice on plant selection and care
- Maintaining optimal cultural growing conditions
- Managing plant health
Qualifications and Skills for Nursery Wholesale Jobs
While a specific set of qualifications is not always necessary to secure a nursery wholesale job, it can be beneficial to have some relevant education or experience in the horticulture industry. Some possible qualifications include:
- A degree, diploma or certificate in horticulture or a related field
- Agriculture chemical spray or ACDC ticket
- Previous experience working in a nursery production, retail or wholesale environment
- Previous experience in a landscaping role
- Knowledge of plants, their growth patterns, and requirements
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
It’s difficult to find an average salary for the nursery wholesale sector. However, the average salary for a Nursery Worker in Western Australia is $25.49 per hour . In Queensland, the estimated salary for a Nursery Worker is $26.82 per hour . Payscale reports an average hourly pay of AU$23.01 for general Nursery Workers in Australia , and calculates the average hourly rate generally in the Plant Nursery industry in Australia is AU$24.63 .
Pros and Cons of Nursery Wholesale Jobs
Like any job, nursery wholesale positions have their own unique set of advantages and disadvantages. Some of the pros include:
- Opportunities to work with a wide range of plants and trees
- An ever-changing and dynamic work environment
- Opportunities for growth and advancement within the industry
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re contributing to the growth of greenery across Australia
- Physical demands, such as lifting heavy plants and equipment
- Tight deadlines and pressure to meet customer demands
- Seasonal fluctuations in demand for certain plants
- Potentially long hours, including weekends and holidays
Finding Wholesale Nursery Jobs in Australia
Discover opportunities in the field of wholesale horticulture by exploring job listings on the Australian horticulture industry job portal, Hort People. Your dream job could be waiting for you.
A career in wholesale nurseries offers the opportunity to work outside, create beautiful outdoor spaces, and earn a good living. If you’re interested in starting a career in wholesale nurseries, don’t wait, upload your resume to Hort People today to start the process.
Nursery wholesale jobs in Australia offer a rewarding and challenging career path for those interested in the horticulture industry. Whether you’re just starting out or have years of experience, there are plenty of opportunities available to those who are passionate about plants and committed to delivering the best service to their customers.